Safer School Supplies: Shopping Guide
August 7, 2018 - School Supplies
With this Safer School Supplies: Shopping Guide, parents, teachers, and students can make some-more sensitive decisions while offered for propagandize reserve this Back to School season. We wish to give relatives and teachers a choice to select propagandize reserve that do not enclose poisonous chemicals. This Shopping Guide should offer as a accessible apparatus for anticipating products giveaway of several forms of poisonous chemicals.
We conducted laboratory tests for poisonous chemicals in renouned propagandize supplies. Researchers tested markers (washable and dry-erase), crayons, glue (liquid and sticks), turn notebooks, rulers, 3-ring binders, lunchboxes, and H2O bottles for poisonous chemicals such as lead, asbestos, phthalates, BTEX compounds (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene), and bisphenol-A (BPA). We purchased a reserve from opposite a nation during a far-reaching accumulation of stores including large box stores, dollar stores, drug stores, online retailers, and humanities and crafts stores.
Among a propagandize reserve surveyed, we found Playskool crayons from Dollar Tree that contained asbestos, a 3-ring folder from Dollar Tree that contained high levels of phthalates, a dry-erase markers containing benzene, and we prominence dual H2O bottles that have been private due to high levels of lead.
This beam not usually lists a potentially dangerous propagandize reserve that we found and because and how a propagandize reserve can mistreat students, though also lists a propagandize reserve that tested disastrous for chemicals of concern.
The participation of poisonous hazards in propagandize reserve highlights a need for consistent vigilance on a partial of supervision agencies and a open to safeguard that propagandize reserve containing poisonous chemicals are private from store shelves.
U.S. PIRG Education Fund staff sent 27 propagandize reserve to an eccentric laboratory to exam for chemicals of concern. The problems we found include:
* Crayons. We tested 6 forms of crayons for asbestos and one tested certain for tremolite: Playskool crayons (36 count) that we purchased during Dollar Tree. We tested a immature tone crayon. Asbestos is a famous carcinogen and can lead to critical health conditions, including lung cancer and mesothelioma. Pictures of a tremolite fibers taken from a laboratory are enclosed in Appendix A.
* 3-ring binders. We tested 3 3-ring binders for phthalates, and one tested certain for phthalates: Jot-brand blue folder from Dollar Tree contained 240,000 tools per million (ppm) DEHP, and 8,000 ppm DINP. Research has documented a intensity repairs of bearing to phthalates during essential stages of development. Studies have related phthalates to asthma, childhood plumpness and reduce IQ scores.
* Water bottles. We tested dual H2O bottles, both of that tested disastrous for a participation of lead. Two products reviewed by a Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have been private for high levels of lead.
* Markers. We tested dual brands of washable markers for BTEX compounds that tested negative. We tested dual forms of dry-erase markers for benzene and phthalates, that tested disastrous for phthalates. One tested certain for benzene. Benzene is a illusive carcinogen related to dangerous disruptions in passionate reproduction, liver and kidney duty and defence complement functioning.
Our 3 takeaways are:
1) Some of these propagandize products enclose poisonous chemicals that have been recalled. The supervision mandates that products for children should have reduction than 100 ppm of lead. If your family owns a H2O bottle described in this Guide that has been private for carrying above 100 ppm, immediately stop regulating a H2O bottle and lapse it to a store.
2) Some of these propagandize products hit toxics that, while not criminialized by a sovereign government, could presumably poise a risk to children. It is authorised to have asbestos in crayons. However, scientists and supervision agencies indicate out that it is nonessential to display children to asbestos. Manufacturers offered asbestos-containing crayons should willingly remember a crayons and reformulate a ingredients. Similarly, it is authorised to have phthalates in some behind to propagandize products, though scientists suggest that children not be unprotected to high levels of phthalates.
3) Given that it is mostly authorised to sell products containing these poisonous substances, relatives can do several things. First, demeanour for a Art and Creative Materials Institute (ACMI) “AP” label, vouchsafing consumers know that a product is non-toxic. If there is no AP label, demeanour for a manufacturer’s “children’s product certificate” on a product, that assures relatives that a product has been tested in a third-party laboratory underneath supervision specifications. If conjunction of those labels is on a product, relatives can strech out to a manufacturers and ask that they start regulating AP certification, or that they accommodate a charge indispensable for a children’s product certificate.
We have a following recommendations:
* Dollar Tree and Playskool should remember a asbestos-tainted crayons and mislay them from store shelves. They should also hit business to advise them about a crayons.
* Dollar Tree and Jot should remember a 3-ring folder that contained high levels of phthalates and mislay them from store shelves. They should also hit business to advise them about a binders.
* The Board Dudes and Amazon should remember their dry-erase markers that enclose benzene and mislay them from store shelves.
* Policymakers should say a CPSC’s appropriation and authorities to strengthen a open and charge a CPSC to frequently exam some-more children’s products for poisonous chemicals.
* Parents and teachers should demeanour for a AP tag posted on equipment by a Art Creative Materials Institute (“ACMI”). For equipment not approved by a ACMI, relatives should demeanour for a manufacturer’s tag certifying that a product meets CPSC discipline for children.
* Parents should direct that manufacturers but a tag start carrying a label, and that a products accommodate a reserve guidelines.